Surface Transportation Board Seeks Railroad Plans for "Fall Peak" Shipping Season

-----------------------------***-----------------------------
>From the Surface Transportation Board, Washington, D.C.
-----------------------------***-----------------------------

Surface Transportation Board Chairman Roger Nober today announced that he
has asked each of the seven largest railroads to report to the Board within
30 days on its plans to meet the expected increase in demand during the
fall shipping season, which is known as the "fall peak."  He made a similar
request of the association that represents the nation's small and regional
railroads.

The Chairman noted:

"This year, as last, the demand for rail services continues to grow, and is
straining the ability of our railroads to meet that growing demand.  At the
same time, the shipping community and our economy as a whole depends on
reliable and efficient freight rail service.  Therefore, I am again asking
the railroads to submit to us their operational plans for handling the fall
peak and capital plans for relieving bottlenecks, so that our agency, rail
shippers and railroad stakeholders may all understand how the railroads
plan to meet demand.

"This is the second year that we have sought this valuable
information.  The Congressional Budget Office praised our efforts in
monitoring the fall peak last year and said that it 'may have prompted the
railroads to enhance their efforts to meet demand.'  I believe it did just
that, which is a good reason to seek these plans again."

Clink here for a hotlink to Chairman Nober's letter to the railroads:
http://www.stb.dot.gov/stb/docs/fallpeakletter2005.pdf.

A fact sheet is attached.

###
_____________
 FACT SHEET

In the fall peak letters sent June 15, 2005, the Chairman Roger Nober
requested the specifics of each railroad's service and operational plans
for this year's fall peak, focusing on:

-->Steps each railroad is taking to ascertain demand for, and to prepare
for, the fall peak;

-->Each railroad's performance goals for at least the next 120 days, with a
view toward meeting the service demands for the fall peak; and

-->Each railroad's plan for achieving those goals.

Recognizing that many of the service issues experienced by railroads and
their customers are related to insufficient rail capacity, the Chairman
also sought information on each railroad's:

-->Capital plans for increasing capacity in 2005;

-->Critical capacity-related infrastructure needs; and

-->Plans for addressing those critical capacity-enhancing infrastructure
needs and expectations for timely completion of those improvements.

The Chairman also asked each railroad to provide details on how it intended
to keep its customers informed.

###