Statement of Surface Transportation Board Chairman Roger Nober on Agency's Approval of Trackage Rights To Provide Dual Rail Service in the Bayport Industrial District of Houston

-----------------------------***-----------------------------
>From the Surface Transportation Board, Washington, D.C.
-----------------------------***-----------------------------

Surface Transportation Board Chairman Roger Nober today announced that the
Board approved the right of BNSF Railway Company to use 15.6 miles of
tracks owned by the Union Pacific Railroad Company.  The approval was
necessary to implement an aspect of the agreement between the two railroads
to provide dual railroad service to particular traffic from certain
shippers in the Bayport Industrial District in southeast Houston, Texas.

In making the announcement, Chairman Nober said

"I am pleased that the Board expeditiously approved these trackage
rights.  Our agency has been involved in the process of bringing two
railroads to these Bayport shippers for a long time, and I am pleased that
we have done our part to make the agreement the railroads negotiated work."

In May 2003, the Board approved the construction of a 12.8-mile rail line
to provide certain shippers in Bayport with a competitive rail
transportation option.  Actual construction of the rail line had been
delayed by litigation in the Texas courts.  In December 2004, Union Pacific
and BNSF announced they had reached agreement to provide these shippers in
the Bayport Industrial District of southeast Houston, Texas, with access to
both railroads.

###