Re: It is correct to introduce new sys calls to stable versions?

Hi!
> I wonder if it is correct to add new syscalls, which actually changes
> the kernel features, in stable releases, as it might confuse downstream
> developers because they may assume the existence of a certain feature
> after a certain version.

Just a side note, one thing I've learned by maintaining the Linux Test
Project is that the kernel version is a lie. You should not use the
kernel version for anything, never. All distributions rutinely backport
various new functionalities to older kernels and only reliable way how
to make sure something is implemented is to call the syscall and check
the return value.

That being said I have no idea what rules apply to stable trees.

--
Cyril Hrubis
chrubis@xxxxxxx