Re: Xinput Controllers No Longer Working

[to anyone that replies to this: please drop the stable mailing list
from CC, as this sounds like a mainline regressin]

Hi Edward! Thx for your report

On 17.06.24 17:37, Edward Wawrzynski wrote:

> I was reaching out to report that there's been a regression in the
> latest stable 6.9.4 kernel. I'm using Fedora 40 and 6.9.4 just got
> pushed to the repos recently. Upon updating, my wired USB Xinput
> controllers no longer get detected.
>
> I've tried two 8BitDo controllers, the one being the 8BitDo Pro 2
> Bluetooth (with a USB cable) and the other being the 8BitDo Pro 2
> Wired Controller for Xbox. Neither of them are being detected on
> Kernel 6.9.4, despite previously working throughout the lifetime of
> Fedora 40's 6.8.x kernel versions, the latest being 6.8.11. I've also
> tried the vanilla kernel, as well as the latest vanilla mainline
> kernel from Fedora's COPR: 6.10.0-0.rc4.337.vanilla.fc40.x86_64.
>
> To reproduce, simply load Kernel 6.9.4+

That sounds a lot like it is a mainline regression that was introduced
between 6.8.y and 6.9;

> and plug a USB controller in
> with XInput (either an Xbox controller or something else that emulates
> one). It won't be detected. I plugged in a PS5 controller and it
> worked, but when I plugged in an Xbox Series S controller, it didn't
> work. The 8BitDo Pro 2 Bluetooth controller has four different
> settings (Switch, Android, DirectInput, Xinput), and it was detected
> and worked on every setting except for the Xinput setting. Reverting
> to version 6.8.11 fixes the issues immediately.

Could you please share the output of "journalctl --dmesg --output=short"
for both a working and a broken kernel?

Ciao, Thorsten