Re: [REGRESSION][BISECTED] "xHCI host controller not responding, assume dead" on stable kernel > 6.8.7

On 24/05/06 02:53PM, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis) wrote:
> [CCing Mario, who asked for the two suspected commits to be backported]
>
> On 06.05.24 14:24, Gia wrote:
> > Hello, from 6.8.7=>6.8.8 I run into a similar problem with my Caldigit
> > TS3 Plus Thunderbolt 3 dock.
> >
> > After the update I see this message on boot "xHCI host controller not
> > responding, assume dead" and the dock is not working anymore. Kernel
> > 6.8.7 works great.

We now have some further information on the matter as somebody was kind
enough to bisect the issue in the [Arch Linux Forums][0]:

    cc4c94a5f6c4 ("thunderbolt: Reset topology created by the boot firmware")

This is a stable commit id, the relevant mainline commit is:

    59a54c5f3dbd ("thunderbolt: Reset topology created by the boot firmware")

The other reporter created [a issue][1] in our bugtracker, which I'll
leave here just for completeness sake.

Reported-by: Benjamin Böhmke <benjamin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Reported-by: Gia <giacomo.gio@xxxxxxxxx>
Bisected-by: Benjamin Böhmke <benjamin@xxxxxxxxxxx>

The person doing the bisection also offered to chime in here if further
debugging is needed!

Also CC'ing the Commitauthors & Subsystem Maintainers for this report.

Cheers,
Christian

[0]: https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=2172526
[1]: https://gitlab.archlinux.org/archlinux/packaging/packages/linux/-/issues/48