Re: [REGRESSION] boot fails for EFI boot stub loaded by u-boot

Oct 18, 2023, 09:17 by heinrich.schuchardt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> On 10/18/23 10:34, Ard Biesheuvel wrote:
>
>> (cc Heinrich)
>>
>> Hello Ben,
>>
>> Thanks for the report.
>>
>> On Wed, 18 Oct 2023 at 03:19, Ben Schneider <ben@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Ard,
>>>
>>> I have an ESPRESSObin Ultra (aarch64) that uses U-Boot as its bootloader. It shipped from the manufacturer with with v5.10, and I've been trying to upgrade. U-Boot supports booting Image directly via EFI (https://u-boot.readthedocs.io/en/latest/usage/cmd/bootefi.html), and I have been using it that way to successfully boot the system up to and including v6.0.19. However, v6.1 and v6.5 kernels fail to boot.
>>>
>>> When booting successfully, the following messages are displayed:
>>>
>>> EFI stub: Booting Linux Kernel...EFI stub: ERROR: FIRMWARE BUG: efi_loaded_image_t::image_base has bogus value
>>> EFI stub: ERROR: FIRMWARE BUG: kernel image not aligned on 64k boundary
>>> EFI stub: Using DTB from configuration table
>>> EFI stub: ERROR: Failed to install memreserve config table!
>>> EFI stub: Exiting boot services...
>>> [    0.000000] Booting Linux on physical CPU 0x0000000000 [0x410fd034]
>>>
>>> I suspect many of the above error messages are simply attributable to using U-Boot to load an EFI stub and can be safely ignored given that the system boots and runs fine.
>>>

> These messages are not typical for launching a kernel via the EFI stub from U-Boot. It should look like this:

All, I can confirm that this issue is not present using upstream U-Boot (v2024.01). That is, EFI stub booting works as expected and does not display any error messages. Thanks!

Ben

#regzbot invalid: issue is with device firmware (u-boot)