Re: [REGRESSION][BISECTED] Boot stall from merge tag 'net-next-6.2'

On Wed, 21 Jun 2023 at 01:46, Linux regression tracking (Thorsten
Leemhuis) <regressions@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Jason, in that case it seems this is something for you. For the initial
> report, see here:

I'll just revert it for now. Writing EFI variables has always been
fraught with danger - more so than just reading them - and this one
just looks horrible anyway.

Calling execute_with_initialized_rng() can end up having the callback
done under a spinlock with interrupts disabled, which is probably why
it then has that odd double indirection through a one-time work. And
in no situation should we start writing to EFI variables during early
subsystem initialization, I feel.

It also probably shouldn't use the "set_variable" function at all, but
the non-blocking one, and who knows if it should try to do some
serialization with efi/vars.c.

I think it would be better off done in user space, but if we can't
trust user space to do the right thing, at least do it much much
later.

               Linus