Re: sendfile(2) use with a char driver

Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

------- Original Message -------
On Wednesday, November 30th, 2022 at 11:48 AM, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 08:23:45AM +0000, hinxx wrote:
>
> > Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

Thank you for your time Greg!

I'm trying to understand the concepts behind the sendfile and modify the drivers myself.

Here is the Xilinx XDMA driver repo:

https://github.com/Xilinx/dma_ip_drivers/tree/master/XDMA/linux-kernel

A side note: As I noted earlier, I tested XDMA that has mmap()'ed PCIe register space (16 MB size) that the driver provides, just to see if it works. I would need the actual data channel, currently read() based to support sendfile.

I'm also looking to have the same sendfile support for this driver, too, which is also targeting similar hardware:

https://github.com/icshwi/tsc/tree/master/driver

I'm working with hardware / FPGA firmware that utilizes one or the other kernel driver.

> > But in general, if I write a PCIe, DMA capable char device, what is the general guidance on what it takes to support splice/sendfile from a char device driver? Maybe there is an existing one in the kernel I could look at?
> >
> > Is it even something worth pursuing? This line make me think it might not work for char devices https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.19.17/source/fs/splice.c#L827. Is going for block device the only way that such device driver can work with the sendfile?
>

> Step back and ask yourself why you want to try to do this first? Are
> you sure the slowdown of a char driver is the copying of the data?
> Usually the hardware is the bottleneck, not the kernel code.

The hardware that these drivers work with are usually able to deliver data at a very high rate. The hardware contains 2/4 GB of DDR3/4 memory where the FPGA firmware stores the digitized analog signal as "samples". These samples would then be transferred to the CPU for processing, or in case of offline processing, shipped out to the network as-is. The idea is to minimize the CPU involvement in the latter case and my assumption is that would be achieved using sendfile/splice. I'm aware that network bandwidth is going to be the bottleneck later; it is about not using the CPU cycles for filling the NIC buffers.

Here is a note from the README of XDMA:

		Maximum data rate for x8 Gen3 is 8Gbytes/s, so for a x8Gen3
		design value of 0.81 data rate is 0.81*8 = 6.48Gbytes/s.
		Maximum data rate for x16 Gen3 is 16Gbytes/s, so for a x16Gen3
		design value of 0.78 data rate is 0.78*16 = 12.48Gbytes/s.

I've seen x4 Gen3 link ~3.8GB/s rates in practice on the hardware I have at hand.

> Anyway, this is way off-topic for the stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing
> list, please work on this on a subsystem-specific list.

No problem. Is the PCI mailing list where this discussion should continue?

Thanks! //hinko