Re: sendfile(2) use with a char driver

On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 08:23:45AM +0000, hinxx wrote:

> Sent with Proton Mail secure email.

Have a link to that repo?  Again, they are the only ones that can
resolve this, or you can modify the code to support this.

> But in general, if I write a PCIe, DMA capable char device, what is the general guidance on what it takes to support splice/sendfile from a char device driver? Maybe there is an existing one in the kernel I could look at?
>
> Is it even something worth pursuing? This line make me think it might not work for char devices https://elixir.bootlin.com/linux/v5.19.17/source/fs/splice.c#L827. Is going for block device the only way that such device driver can work with the sendfile?

Step back and ask yourself why you want to try to do this first?  Are
you sure the slowdown of a char driver is the copying of the data?
Usually the hardware is the bottleneck, not the kernel code.

Anyway, this is way off-topic for the stable@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx mailing
list, please work on this on a subsystem-specific list.

good luck!

greg k-h