Re: [GIT 4.9] LSM,security,selinux,smack: Backport of LSM changes

On 10.07.22 13:06, Greg KH wrote:
> Make sure the patches you are submitting follows those rules on what is
> able to be accepted.

Looks like I have to exclude a couple of patches especially due to the 100-lines rule.
That especially hits the last one replacing 350 lines initialization code by 6 lines doing the same but avoiding potential errors by missing some initialization.

>> The Civil Infrastructure Platform (CIP) e.g. maintains LTS kernel trees which are now End of Life but still used.
>> They call that SLTS ("Super Long Term Support") and there is e.g. a 4.4.y branch with backports from the 4.9.y LTS branch.
>> That kernel is e.g. used in many Android phones.
>
> What 4.4.y Android devices are still supported by their vendors?  And
> are they still getting kernel updates?

Actually the issue is that those devices are not supported by their vendors anymore, so they may only get updates through LineageOS.
That is a third-party Android build where maintainers rely on proprietary binaries from the original phone which are tied to a specific kernel.
Hence when the device falls out of support having a 4.4 kernel in the last release there is no way for those maintainers to switch to a newer kernel.
That's the situation e.g. I am in right now: Providing (mostly) security updates for a good phone that fell out of vendor support
by using LineageOS for an updated Android system and e.g. the CIP maintained SLTS 4.4 kernel.
And I know of at least 2 other devices using the same kernel as they share the platform.

Regards,
Alex