Re: null console related kerne performance issue

On Mon, Nov 8, 2021 at 12:00 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 12:40:32PM -0700, Yi Fan wrote:
> > Reply inline.

> > > What exact "performance issue" are you seeing?
> > >
> > [YF] one kernel thread was randomly blocked for more than ~40
> > milliseconds, causing a certain task to fail to process in time.
> > [YF] the issue is highly random on a single device. But it might
> > happen a few times per 24 hours on a certain percentage of devices.
> > The overall percentage of devices that show the issue seems quite
> > stable over a long period of time (somehow the magic number is ~40%.).
> > [YF] local test on a pool of devices does not show any correlation w/
> > any particular devices.
> > [YF] local test after reverting the above single commit passes, no
> > issue is observed.
>
> And what type of device is this?
[YF] it happens on multiple devices on the 4.14.y kernel. (sorry
cannot disclose the device type here.)

> If you see this thread:
>         https://lore.kernel.org/r/f19c18fd-20b3-b694-5448-7d899966a868@xxxxxxxxxxxx
> it looks like chromeos devices have now disabled this change, and there
> was a long discussion about possible issues and solutions.
>
> Can you try the patch set referenced in that thread to see if that
> resolves the issue for you or not?  Given that I have not seen any
> reports of this being an issue since over a year ago, odds are it has
> been resolved already with some change that we probably also need to
> backport to 4.14.y.
>
> So any help in identifying that change would be appreciated.

[YF] thanks for the context. I did not find a clear patch that seems
to solve this issue yet.
[YF] for the time being, reverting the offending commit seems the
safest solution for the 4.14.y.

> > > And what kernel version are you seeing it on?
> > >
> > [YF] it was first found on some products w/ kernel version 4.14.210.
> > through bisection, we located the commit on 4.14.200.

> > > What problem exactly are you now seeing?  And does it also happen on
> > > 5.15?
> > >
> > [YF] we do not perform any tests on 5.15 yet. so no idea about whether
> > the issue happens on 5.15.
>
> How about any other newer stable kernel version like 5.4.y or 5.10.y?

[YF] so far there is no easy way to replicate the issue. We have
future products that are on 5.4.y and 5.10.y. I will keep monitoring
whether similar issues are found.