Re: null console related kerne performance issue

Reply inline.

On Thu, Nov 4, 2021 at 11:56 AM Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 11:14:55AM -0700, Yi Fan wrote:
> > Resend the email using plain text.
> >
> > I found some kernel performance regression issues that might be
> > related w/ 4.14.y LTS commit.
> >
> > 4.14.y commit: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=v4.14.253&id=27d185697322f9547bfd381c71252ce0bc1c0ee4
> >
> > The issue is observed when "console=" is used as a kernel parameter to
> > disable the kernel console.
>
> What exact "performance issue" are you seeing?

[YF] one kernel thread was randomly blocked for more than ~40
milliseconds, causing a certain task to fail to process in time.
[YF] the issue is highly random on a single device. But it might
happen a few times per 24 hours on a certain percentage of devices.
The overall percentage of devices that show the issue seems quite
stable over a long period of time (somehow the magic number is ~40%.).
[YF] local test on a pool of devices does not show any correlation w/
any particular devices.
[YF] local test after reverting the above single commit passes, no
issue is observed.

> And what kernel version are you seeing it on?

[YF] it was first found on some products w/ kernel version 4.14.210.
through bisection, we located the commit on 4.14.200.

> > I browsed android common kernel logs and the upstream stable kernel
> > tree, found some related changes.
> >
> > printk: handle blank console arguments passed in. (link:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=v5.14.15&id=3cffa06aeef7ece30f6b5ac0ea51f264e8fea4d0)
> > Revert "init/console: Use ttynull as a fallback when there is no
> > console" (link:
> > https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux.git/commit/?h=v5.14.15&id=a91bd6223ecd46addc71ee6fcd432206d39365d2)
> >
> > It looks like upstream also noticed the regression introduced by the
> > commit, and the workaround is to use "ttynull" to handle "console="
> > case. But the "ttynull" was reverted due to some other reasons
> > mentioned in the commit message.
> >
> > Any insight or recommendation will be appreciated.
>
> What problem exactly are you now seeing?  And does it also happen on
> 5.15?

[YF] we do not perform any tests on 5.15 yet. so no idea about whether
the issue happens on 5.15.