Re: ARCH=arm LLVM_IAS=1 patches for 5.10, 5.4, and 4.19

On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 08:06:29PM +0100, Greg KH wrote:
On Mon, Mar 15, 2021 at 10:43:26AM -0700, Nick Desaulniers wrote:
Then it should be possible for any patch
that itself is backported (contains "commit XXX upstream") to be fed
in when auto selected or submitted to stable (or before then) to check
for new fixes.  Probably would still need to be run periodically, as
Fixes: aren't necessarily available when AutoSel runs.  For the
toolchain, we have a bot that watches for reverts for example, but
non-standard commit messages denoting one patch fixes another makes
this far from perfect.  Would still need to be run periodically,
because if a Fixes: exists, but hasn't been merged yet, it could get
missed.

I do re-run my script at times, it does require it to be run every once
in a while.  But again, who is going to care about this except me and
Sasha?

I actually run something like that often, there are tons of patches with
Fixes: that points to commits in the stable tree, but quite a few need a
less-than-trivial backport that no one did.

Though I'm curious how the machinery that picks up Fixes: tags works.
Does it run on a time based cadence?  Is it only run as part of
AutoSel, but not for manual backports sent to the list?  Would it have
picked up on f77ac2e378be at some point?

Maybe it will, mine might have picked it up, who knows, I haven't run it
in a while.  But as you say, because it fails to apply, that's a good
reason for me to not backport it.

I run it on a weekly basis for *new* commits.

--
Thanks,
Sasha