Re: + mm-hugetlb-fix-a-addressing-exception-caused-by-huge_pte_offset.patch added to -mm tree

On Mon, Mar 30, 2020 at 08:35:29PM -0700, Mike Kravetz wrote:
> On 3/28/20 3:10 PM, akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> > The patch titled
> >      Subject: mm/hugetlb: fix a addressing exception caused by huge_pte_offset
> > has been added to the -mm tree.  Its filename is
> >      mm-hugetlb-fix-a-addressing-exception-caused-by-huge_pte_offset.patch
> >
> > This patch should soon appear at
> >     http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/mm-hugetlb-fix-a-addressing-exception-caused-by-huge_pte_offset.patch
> > and later at
> >     http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/mm-hugetlb-fix-a-addressing-exception-caused-by-huge_pte_offset.patch
> >
> > Before you just go and hit "reply", please:
> >    a) Consider who else should be cc'ed
> >    b) Prefer to cc a suitable mailing list as well
> >    c) Ideally: find the original patch on the mailing list and do a
> >       reply-to-all to that, adding suitable additional cc's
> >
> > *** Remember to use Documentation/process/submit-checklist.rst when testing your code ***
> >
> > The -mm tree is included into linux-next and is updated
> > there every 3-4 working days

> > From: Longpeng <longpeng2@xxxxxxxxxx>
> > Subject: mm/hugetlb: fix a addressing exception caused by huge_pte_offset
>
> This patch is what caused the BUG reported on i386 non-PAE kernel here:
>
> https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/CA+G9fYsJgZhhWLMzUxu_ZQ+THdCcJmFbHQ2ETA_YPP8M6yxOYA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/
>
> As a clue, when building in this environment I get:
>
>   CC      mm/hugetlb.o
> mm/hugetlb.c: In function ‘huge_pte_offset’:
> cc1: warning: function may return address of local variable [-Wreturn-local-addr]
> mm/hugetlb.c:5361:14: note: declared here
>   pud_t *pud, pud_entry;
>               ^~~~~~~~~
> cc1: warning: function may return address of local variable [-Wreturn-local-addr]
> mm/hugetlb.c:5361:14: note: declared here
> cc1: warning: function may return address of local variable [-Wreturn-local-addr]
> mm/hugetlb.c:5360:14: note: declared here
>   p4d_t *p4d, p4d_entry;
>               ^~~~~~~~~
>
> I'm shutting down for the night and will look into it more tomorrow if
> someone else does not beat me to it.

Non-PAE uses ModeB / PSE paging, which only has 2-level page tables.  The
non-existent levels get folded in and pmd_offset/pud_offset() return the
passed in pointer instead of accessing a table, e.g.:

static inline pmd_t * pmd_offset(pud_t * pud, unsigned long address)
{
	return (pmd_t *)pud;
}

The bug probably only manifests with PSE paging because it can have huge
pages in the top-level table, i.e. is the only mode that can get a false
positive.

This is arguably a bug in pmd_huge/pud_hug(), seems like they should
unconditionally return false if the relevant level doesn't exist.