Re: + mm-hugetlb-fix-a-addressing-exception-caused-by-huge_pte_offset.patch added to -mm tree

On 3/28/20 3:10 PM, akpm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> The patch titled
>      Subject: mm/hugetlb: fix a addressing exception caused by huge_pte_offset
> has been added to the -mm tree.  Its filename is
>      mm-hugetlb-fix-a-addressing-exception-caused-by-huge_pte_offset.patch
>
> This patch should soon appear at
>     http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmots/broken-out/mm-hugetlb-fix-a-addressing-exception-caused-by-huge_pte_offset.patch
> and later at
>     http://ozlabs.org/~akpm/mmotm/broken-out/mm-hugetlb-fix-a-addressing-exception-caused-by-huge_pte_offset.patch
>
> Before you just go and hit "reply", please:
>    a) Consider who else should be cc'ed
>    b) Prefer to cc a suitable mailing list as well
>    c) Ideally: find the original patch on the mailing list and do a
>       reply-to-all to that, adding suitable additional cc's
>
> *** Remember to use Documentation/process/submit-checklist.rst when testing your code ***
>
> The -mm tree is included into linux-next and is updated
> there every 3-4 working days

> From: Longpeng <longpeng2@xxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: mm/hugetlb: fix a addressing exception caused by huge_pte_offset

This patch is what caused the BUG reported on i386 non-PAE kernel here:

https://lore.kernel.org/linux-mm/CA+G9fYsJgZhhWLMzUxu_ZQ+THdCcJmFbHQ2ETA_YPP8M6yxOYA@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx/

As a clue, when building in this environment I get:

  CC      mm/hugetlb.o
mm/hugetlb.c: In function ‘huge_pte_offset’:
cc1: warning: function may return address of local variable [-Wreturn-local-addr]
mm/hugetlb.c:5361:14: note: declared here
  pud_t *pud, pud_entry;
              ^~~~~~~~~
cc1: warning: function may return address of local variable [-Wreturn-local-addr]
mm/hugetlb.c:5361:14: note: declared here
cc1: warning: function may return address of local variable [-Wreturn-local-addr]
mm/hugetlb.c:5360:14: note: declared here
  p4d_t *p4d, p4d_entry;
              ^~~~~~~~~

I'm shutting down for the night and will look into it more tomorrow if
someone else does not beat me to it.
--
Mike Kravetz