Re: [v5] x86/mm/KASLR: Fix the size of vmemmap section

On Wed, Jun 12, 2019 at 3:23 PM Baoquan He <bhe@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
[...]
> > > I have applied the patch set from [0] and booted into the new kernel.
> > >
> > > But I have set...
> > >
> > > CONFIG_PGTABLE_LEVELS=4
> > > # CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL is not set
> > >
> > > To test this I need CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y?
> > > Best two kernels with and without your patch.
> >
> > Yeah, with CONFIG_X86_5LEVEL=y.
> >
> > In fact I didn't have chance to trigger the issue to reproduce, then
> > apply this patch to fix. As you know, the machine with large memory is
> > too few. This is a code bug, so I just run the level 4 kernel and level
> > 5 kernel to test the basic functionality.
> >
> > If you have machine owning RAM 64 TB, and it supports 5-level, you can
>                              ~~~~
>                             Here, I meant owning RAM larger than 64 TB
>
> > build two kernels w and w/o this patch, it's easy to reproduce.

Hi Baoquan,

No, I have no 64-TB-machine here.

I have seen that the Kconfig help text [0] says...

 See Documentation/x86/x86_64/5level-paging.txt for more
 information.

That should be s/5level-paging.txt/5level-paging.rst.
I can send a patch if you like.

Can you look at the text of [1] - are the informations up2date?

Thanks.

Regards,
- Sedat -

[0] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/x86/Kconfig#n1481