Re: [GIT PULL] commits for Linux 4.4

On 27 April 2018 12:35:21 PM IST, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>On Thu, Apr 26, 2018 at 09:50:25PM -0700, Nathan Chancellor wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 02:01:20AM +0000, Sasha Levin wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi Greg,
>> >
>> > Pleae pull commits for Linux 4.4 .
>> >
>> > I've sent a review request for all commits over a week ago and all
>> > comments were addressed.
>> >

>> > Thanks,
>> > Sasha
>> >

>> For what it's worth, commit 87a00850c711 ("pinctrl: msm: Use dynamic
>> GPIO numbering") completely breaks touchscreen input on my Pixel 2
>XL.
>
>That's not good.  Have you reported this to the gpio developers and
>authors of that patch?
>
>> I'm happy to carry the revert in my tree given it is probably a
>correct
>> change in mainline but I figured I would let you guys know so you can
>> make that decision.
>
>Ah, do you think this is a userspace issue with your device and not a
>kernel problem?  That implies that this patch isn't ok and should be
>reverted upstream.

This is actually a very interesting question: What side of the system actually broke? This also isn't the first instance of a Qualcomm patch coming from upstream breaking devices: 3.18.49 had a pinctrl commit[0] (with Timur's Reported-by, nice coincidence heh) which broke the OnePlus fast charging implementation (which has both kernel and userspace components) and was never reported upstream either (I didn't have the device at that time) so it boils down to how flexible linux-stable is about going the extra mile to ensure they don't break bad code from SoC kernels which don't actually merge stable updates.

[0]https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/stable/linux-stable.git/commit/?h=linux-3.18.y&id=08b1ade02e584ac5eb8d9c075debf202bed9d085

--
Harsh Shandilya, PRJKT Development LLC