Re: Merging backported fscrypt to 4.4?

Hi Greg,

> On 12 Oct 2017, at 14:45, Greg KH <gregkh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 12, 2017 at 01:26:26PM +0000, Anton Altaparmakov wrote:
>>> Anyway, that's a side note, I don't really understand why you need/want
>>> fscrypt, if the only in-kernel filesystems that need it, already have
>>> this support?
>>
>> Ah, sorry for not explaining better - we have our own flash friendly
>> file system (TFFS), which is not in the tree so we have a vested
>> interest in fscrypto being part of the mainline kernel rather than
>> maintaining it separately.
>
> Ok, that makes more sense.  No, sorry, I'm not going to make changes to
> any kernel for an out-of-tree chunk of code.  We wouldn't do that in
> Linus's latest tree, so of course we wouldn't do it in a stable kernel
> tree.
>
> Get your filesystem merged and then we can talk :)

Yes, once you reminded me ext4 and f2fs already have the crypto code in 4.4 already just not pulled out into fscrypt I figured that was the answer!

But this little discussion was very useful anyway as we now will have it in the archives to point customers at the fact that they should be updating their kernels and only if they really can't move to a newer kernel should they stay with 4.4 but then make sure they upgrade within the 4.4 updates or the support will go away and won't stay till 2022.

I fear too many companies would have taken the "will be supported till 2022" as some "contractually guaranteed fact" which it of course is not and it is great to have that in writing in the archives.

Best regards,

	Anton

--
Anton Altaparmakov <anton at tuxera.com> (replace at with @)