Re: Next LTS release

On Mon, Jun 06, 2016 at 09:36:47AM +0200, Mason wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I read the kernel summit summary.
> https://lwn.net/Articles/662966/
>
> I was wondering if the 4.4 release set a "precedent" in that the
> next few LTS releases going forward would be aimed for early Q1?

Probably.

> The reason I'm asking is that my company plans to release an SDK
> in Q4, and I was hoping to bundle a recent kernel.

Nothing preventing you from always just advancing your kernel to the
latest LTS one when it comes out, right?  You shouldn't have anything
tied to a specific kernel version if all is working well :)

> I currently provide 4.4 but most of my port was accepted in later
> versions. I was hoping I wouldn't need to backport all that code.
>
> What do the tea leaves say?

Something in Q1, no idea what number specifically, but if all of your
code is already merged upstream, it doesn't really matter what you pick,
anything will end up working for you.

thanks,

greg k-h