Re: Question about the commits found in a stable tree

Hello Francis,

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 09:14:31AM +0200, Francis Moreau wrote:
> > Francis, the most reliable I could propose to you is to look for a
> > string of 40 consecutive hex digits. But even then there is a risk :
> > older kernels tend to pick from newer ones and sometimes double IDs
> > slip through. Revert commits can as well induce you in error.
>
> Hmm, hash in the log message is something that is not rare, I wouldn't
> assume that a single hash value is a link to an upstream commit, or am
> I missing your point ?

You should never assume anything with 100% guarantee when it's done by
humans who try to put as much information as possible for other humans.
Mistakes happen, all the time, more in older versions since code tends
to diverge somewhat. Some stable fixes do not have mainline equivalents
because the error was fixed upstream before being detected. Other stable
fixes are rewritten differently because they cannot be applied, and
sometimes they reference multiple mainline commits to help humans track
code changes.

And it works pretty well in my opinion : Ben spent some time reviewing
the last 2.6.32.61 patches and reported a significant number of mistakes
or omissions. Maybe some of them could have been done by some tools, but
the help from real people who understand what this is about is critical
here. The detailed commit is there to help same find the relevant info
and not waste their time.

So I'm still not convinced that trying to make the text portion more
rigid will bring any benefit here.

Best regards,
Willy