Re: Question about the commits found in a stable tree

Hi Be,

On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 09:44:42PM +0100, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Currently there are 3 different formats used for backports of a single
> commit, which are:
>
> gregkh:          commit $HASH upstream.
> davem:           [ Upstream commit $HASH ]
> git-cherry-pick: (cherry-picked from commit $HASH)

plus one : what results of the commit messages we have to adjust an
in which we sometimes do mistakes (eg I found some missing "." after
upstream in some of mine).

> For backports that correspond to multiple upstream commits, the format
> varies a bit.  I haven't attempted to parse those messages
> automatically.

I did. that resulted in soem people complaining in 2.6.32.60 that some
commit IDs were missing and others incorrect, just because my scripts
failed to catch all the relevant cases and I could not notice this with
my eyes.

Francis, the most reliable I could propose to you is to look for a
string of 40 consecutive hex digits. But even then there is a risk :
older kernels tend to pick from newer ones and sometimes double IDs
slip through. Revert commits can as well induce you in error.

> > > Don't you think that this link to the upstream commit is an important
> > > information ?
> >
> > I do, which is why I have been putting it in the commits for the past 8
> > years.
> >
> > You are asking me to guarantee a specific pattern of words will always
> > be used in the future, which is an impossible request, as I'm sure you
> > will agree, as no one can predict the future.
>
> I think we should specify a format that everyone should use.  I did
> draft some new wording for stable_kernel_rules.txt which I should send
> out...

I'm not convinced it will be *that* useful, because there will always be
a small number of backporting issues causing us not to have an exact
upstream commit ID anyway. So if the process is not 100% reliable, I'm
not sure that trying to make it more rigid to get close to 100% success
without ever reaching it is worth the effort.

Cheers,
Willy