Re: Question about the commits found in a stable tree

On Wed, Jun 19, 2013 at 06:00:01PM +0200, Francis Moreau wrote:

> >> I agree but it seems that Greg thinks that won't be possible in the
> >> long term even if a pattern is specified.
> >
> > That is not what Greg is thinking, or said.
>
> I'm apologize to Greg then ;)
>
> > I really don't understand the issue here.
>
> Maybe this example can help to clarify things (probably for me): Let's
> say that you, as a stable tree releaser, want to be sure that any
> commits have the link to the corresponding upstream commit since it's
> an important information to have. One simple solution would be to
> check that the link is present before committing (by using a git hook
> for example). Now you need to search for a pattern in the commit log:
> either you grep for all possible patterns and add a new one each time
> someone decides to create his own pattern or you specify one pattern
> and ask anybody to use it.
>
> This assumes that everybody will provide the upstream hash, but IIRC
> this is specified by the stable tree rules.

I don't understand what you are asking for us to do here.  You have all
the raw data, 8+ years worth.  If you wish to dig through it for
research, please do so, but don't try to impose rules for others to
follow that are actually doing the development / release work for no
good reason.

Please do your homework first, others have, and have had no problems in
digging lots of great data from the stable kernel release logs, tracking
commits across git trees and releases and creating wonderful graphs.
Because of that, I know it is possible to do this without any changes to
our development process, or requiring us to "guarantee" anything at all.

good luck,

greg k-h