Re: Weird SSH issue.

Hello,

On 3 February 2011 07:48, Darren Tucker <dtucker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 3/02/11 12:20 AM, Alex John wrote:
>>
>> Hello, I'm having trouble connecting to any server outside my local
>> network since like a week. I could do it without any problems before
>> that.
>
> Sounds like a network problem, any recent changes?

Yes, well the firewall used to be a caching proxy but the admins have
changed that to something else like a black list (but I still can
telnet to the server, so I don't think its blacklisted). SSH
connections used to be going properly to just about anywhere before
this change.

Here's one possibility:

On 3 February 2011 03:08, zitstif <zitstif@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Alex,
> Out of curiosity, have you tried connecting with a different distro? Or even
> try using putty?

Yes, I've tried in gentoo/ubuntu/Windows (putty). That's all the
distros I have at the moment.

On 3 February 2011 04:38, zhong ming wu <mr.z.m.wu@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> That looks like the output from the client
>
> What do u see in server log?

Here's the syslog:

sshd[31757]: Accepted password for user from x.x.x.x port 51435 ssh2
sshd[31757]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session opened for user user by (uid=0)
sshd[31757]: lastlog_filetype: Couldn't stat /var/log/lastlog: No such
file or directory
sshd[31757]: lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not a file or directory!
sshd[31757]: lastlog_filetype: Couldn't stat /var/log/lastlog: No such
file or directory
sshd[31757]: lastlog_openseek: /var/log/lastlog is not a file or directory!
sshd[31757]: pam_unix(sshd:session): session closed for user user

> Maybe firewall settings changed?  It may not block the port but sometimes
> firewalls can do some weird port/protocol specific proxying

Yeah, any way to pinpoint what exactly its doing to the connection?

Thanks
Alex