SSH Keys with LDAP

I'm configuring workstations to authenticate/authorize against a RedHat Directory Server (LDAP).   If I lock an account in LDAP, I can still use an SSH key to login to the locked account.  On Solaris, SSH keys do not work at all when password policy enforcement is enabled.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this problem?  Is this a PAM/SSH issue?