Re: Max connections per client?

Jeremy-
SSH servers do not typically include this; however you can use
denyhosts or fail2ban to block IPs with too many failed connection
attempts.  It's difficult to use anything other than IP to identify a
brute-force attacker, since they can change almost everything else
(client name, username, client auth key, etc.) and still be successful
in a dictionary attack.  These days, it is also common to see
distributed ssh brute-force attacks, in which many (likely owned)
computers will each try a small number of dictionary attacks, but from
a large number of IPs.

Connection Banning:
Denyhosts: http://denyhosts.sourceforge.net/
fail2ban: http://www.fail2ban.org/wiki/index.php/OpenSSH

You also may want to take a look at port knockers, which are silent
daemons that can open a firewall only to one IP for a limited amount
of time when it receives a series of tcp/udp connection attempts or
(my favorite) in the case of fwknop, a pgp-signed packet that is
authenticating and non-replayable.

Traditional port knocking: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PortKnocking
Single packet authorization: fwknop: http://www.cipherdyne.org/fwknop/

Regards,