Re: is ssh tunneling a security risk?

Hi,

Thanks for the comments.

I guess I have two questions then: (1) is the current setup without
tunnel much more secure? and (2) is there another approach that lets me
get work done without the tunnel?  Regarding the first, I can see two
scenarios without a tunnel where you would have the same security
problems/advantages.  One is where someone gains access to my machine
and then to the intermediary machine.  That person then sets up some
program that waits for me to make the second hop and then uses that
somehow (I am just being hypothetical, I don't know how hard this would
be, which is really the question, but I thought keyboard grabbing
programs were a pretty standard part of the hackers toolbox).  The other
is that I can imagine it would be possible for me to somehow home brew a
tunnel - once you can connect from A to B to C somehow, is it that
difficult to run a program on A and B that makes connecting A to C
transparent?

For the second, the real problem is moving files around (though a
graphical interface is occasionally a problem - you can double ssh -X/-Y
I think, but I believe they have blocked this as well).  I have limited
disk space on machine B, but need to move large files around.  Even if I
had the disk space, moving them twice is a pain that tends to add a lot
of extra time.  Does anyone have a suggestion for solving this problem,
even if it is a hack?

And just to be more specific about my security setup, I don't just ssh
to the intermediate machine.  First you connect to a website with one
username/password.  At that site, you start a java application that
makes a localhost:port ssh connection available that is really to a
machine behind the firewall.  Then you authenticate to that machine with
a different username/password.  Then you double ssh to the machine you
want....

Thanks,
David

--