Re: is ssh tunneling a security risk?

Hi David,

You say "This has made it almost impossible to work with the system"; If the new policy is prohibiting you from being completely productive then I think you have a case and you should escalate to decision makers in your company. If it adds a task to your procedure (ssh once, then ssh again) then most managers will say it's ok to do this to respect certain security requirements.

I think that no matter how many reasons the list here gives you regarding ssh tunneling, I suggest that you have a 'friendly' chat with your IT security folks to get the reason behind their new policy.

The one thing I can think of that your security department may use as argument is that people can use different internet services inside ssh tunnels through port forwarding and this can cause viruses and other malware to enter your network infrastructure.

Cheers,

--
Edmond Baroud
IT Infrastructure Architect