Again with additional info: Problem trying to create 'pass through' with PuTTY and Dropbear

Hello,

I already posted this problem before, but haven't had any response so far.
I added some details and additional information and tried to make it more clear to you.
Maybe, this time someone can help me out or at least give some hints or feedback?

The problem:

I'm trying to do the following:
I have a couple of 'client' pc's that are behind routers. I want to be
able to connect to them (using VNC) from anywhere when needed without
having to open up ports on the routers. Therefore, the connection needs to be initiated from the client side (thus from behind the routers).
My plan is to let those clients set up and keep open an SSH connection
to a server on the Internet that I have access to (running Dropbear as
an SSH server).
The clients I want to take over, are running a startup script creating
the connection and keeping it open. Over the connection, a tunnel is
then created from client port X, to server port Y. From my PC I then
create an SSH connection to the server and create a tunnel from PC
port Z to server port Y.

I'm currently testing this setup on my LAN using PuTTY on two Windows pc's (one acting as the server and one acting as the client) and a Linux
server (S) running Dropbear. One pc
(A) is running VNC Server. The other PC (B) is running the vnc viewer.
I use PuTTY to create an SSH connection from PC A to the server (S) and
create a *remote* forward from server port 10001 to PC A, port 5900 (this
is where ultra VNC is listening).
Then, I use PuTTY to create an SSH connection from PC B to the server (S) and create a *local* forward from PC B, port 5900 to server port 10001.

After this, I start Ultra VNC viewer on PC B and connect it to '::5900'.
Now, I'm getting the following connection error: "Connection failed - Error reading Protocol Version".
I have tried Putty 0.58 and 0.60. Using both versions gives the same error message in Ultra VNC.

I have no problems connecting directly from PC B to PC A ('::
5900').

To make sure it isn't an Ultra VNC problem, I set up the same tunnels (but using port 23 instead of 5900) and then used telnet to connect from one host to the running telnet server on the other host.
The screen goes black (dosprompt under Windows XP) until I press a key, then I get back my prompt. Nothing happens.
I also used Wireshark (network sniffer) on the server side and no packets were captured (not even in promiscious mode).

Is my set-up technically possible? So should I be able to set up those tunnels as a kind of 'pass-through' mechanism?

Does anyone have a clue about what I'm doing wrong or forgot to do?

Kind regards,
Rik.