Re: problems with ChrootDirectory

--- On Fri, 7/11/08, Szymon Bakowski <szymon@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Joseph,
>
> I had the same problem.
>
> The thing is that specyfying /space/storage/jsmith you are
> providing a
> / directory forr that user. You would want in this case
> specify
> /space/storage as ChrootDirectory and then create
> /space/storage/jsmith with 700 in it.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> Cheers. Simon

Simon:
  Thanks for the help!  Ok, I'm getting closer (no more errors in sshd.log), however it still does not work.  After doing the above, and trying to connect, I get the following:

$ sftp jsmith@xxxxxxxxxx
Connecting to 10.1.0.135...
Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0
Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer

It hangs here for a minute or 2, then returns me back to my client prompt.

I tried removing the "ForceCommand internal-sftp", to see if I could get a simple chrooted shell, but then when I attempt to connect I get:

$ ssh -l jsmith 10.1.0.135
Last login: Fri Jul 11 14:22:07 2008 from 10.1.0.33
Could not chdir to home directory /space/storage/jsmith: No such file or directory
/bin/sh: No such file or directory
Connection to 10.1.0.135 closed.

I suspect the /bin/sh error is due to the fact that the /bin/sh doesn't exist in the chrooted directory.  SO, in order for a normal shell to work I'd need to make a 'bin' directory of some sort and copy whatever binaries I want to permit the user to run into the new directory.

But should I need any other binaries for sftp to work?