Re: SSH VPN trouble

Hi László!

Using the same network on both sides of a VPN will cause trouble for you, since your are trying to route traffic between two locations using the same identifiers. Traffic originating from one side of your tunnel will always have the ipaddress you are trying to reach, listed in its routingtable as local, and thus will never try to forward it through the ssh-tunnel.

If you cannot change ip-range on either side of the link, I would suggest looking into the possibility of 1:1 NAT'ing the traffic on receiver side ( i.e 10.0.0.0/8 -> 192.168.1.0/8 ), and the use ie. 10.168.1.100 to reach 192.168.1.100 from the sender side.

Best regards,
Knut Saastad

László Monda wrote:
Hi List,

I'm trying to build an SSH VPN based on the
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SSH_VPN Ubuntu howto, but can't get
it done.

After setting up the VPN and trying to connect to the remote host
which is now on my virtual network I realize that I actually connect
to localhost.

This may be because the remote network and the local network are both
192.168.1.0/8.  Do the network adresses of the networks in question
need to differ?

Thanks in advance!