Re: What is difference between '5900:localhost:5900 remotehost' and '5900:remotehost:5900 remotehost'?

It really involves how TCP/IP works.  When you initiate a connection on a
network, your computer uses the interface closest to the destination.  So,
when you use "remotehost" as the destination, the computer will send the
traffic to the network interface that has "remotehost" as it's IP address.
This is a "tiny" bit less efficient than using "localhost" as a general rule
(some OS's optimize against that, but that's not always the case).

When you use "localhost", if you look this up you will see that it has an IP
address of 127.0.0.1, and this is treated special on most hosts that have a
TCP/IP stack.  127.0.0.1 is considered an interface (called loopback) to an
"internal" network local only to the host.  So, when you send traffic to
127.0.0.1 you are really saying that you only want it to stay on the local
machine.

When you say 5900:localhost:5900, the middle item is the destination machine
that you want the local port 5900 traffic to be forwarded to, which could be
the same as the host your ssh'ing to, or it could be a different machine
entirely...  In the case of remotehost vs localhost (when they are the same
machine) your intent is to tunnel your traffic over ssh to the machine
you're ssh'ing to.

A good reason to adopt the practice of using localhost, at least from the
security paranoid side, is that it's possible for a machine to have multiple
IP addresses in it's DNS/hosts entry, and sometimes they can even be
different machines behind a single DNS entry (not so common now, but used to
be web farms were made this way).  So you could say "5900:remotehost:5900
remotehost" and get two different answers for "remotehost", especially since
the "remotehost" in your 5900:remotehost:5900 is resolved on the remote
host.  If DNS or host files are broken, you traffic could end up going to a
different machine than you intended.  Using "localhost" or "127.0.0.1" makes
it much less likely for that to happen (but since I'm a security paranoid
type I have to add "but not impossible").

Steve