Re: Both Roundcube and Squirrelmail webmail cannot search for anything because there are more than 200, 000 emails in my Inbox

> Roundcube webmail doesn't show any error. Search results simply don't
> show up after a long time.
>
> However, I got the following error in Squirrelmail webmail (using
> Firefox web browser).
>
> ERROR: Connection dropped by IMAP server.
>
> Query: SEARCH CHARSET ISO-8859-1 ALL SUBJECT "keyword"
>
> How do I solve this problem where both Roundcube and Squirrelmail
> webmail can't search for anything at all because there are too many
> emails inside my inbox?

First, sort your mail into sensible subfolder organization, if only by
year or month, etc.  Use server-side filtering to make this automatic.
Second, make sure you actually *need* that many messages - most people
don't and should be deleting most of them.  Third, if you must
load/sort/search that volume of message, webmail is not for you - try
Thunderbird or just log into the server and learn how to use your IMAP
server directly.  For dovecot, doveadm has some powerful capabilities.

https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/Search
https://wiki2.dovecot.org/Tools/Doveadm/SearchQuery

--
Paul Lesniewski