Re: Squirrelmail is too security conscious

On Wed, November 14, 2018 00:07, Paul Lesniewski wrote:

> On 2018å¹´10æ??31æ?¥ 10:06, James B. Byrne via squirrelmail-users
> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, October 31, 2018 11:45, James B. Byrne via
>> squirrelmail-users
>> wrote:
>>> This is ridiculous.  I cannot compose a message of any reasonable
>>> length in a separate window in SM without getting a security error
>>> when I try and send.
>>>
>>> SquirrelMail version 1.4.23 [SVN]
>>> By the SquirrelMail Project Team
>>> ERROR
>>> The current page request appears to have originated from an
>>> untrusted
>>> source.
>>> Go to the login page
>>>

>>> When I try to recover the message contents and go back to the
>>> previous
>>> page I get this:
>>>
>>> Document Expired
>>>
>>> This document is no longer available.
>>>
>>> The requested document is not available in Firefoxâ??s cache.
>>>
>>>     As a security precaution, Firefox does not automatically
>>> re-request sensitive documents.
>>>     Click Try Again to re-request the document from the website.
>>>
>>> Where is this 'FEATURE'? configured and how do I turn it off?
>>>

>> These are all the places that the error message is set:
>>
>> find /usr/local/www/squirrelmail/ | xargs grep -in 'untrusted
>> source'
>>
>> /usr/local/www/squirrelmail/plugins/compatibility/includes/1.5.2/global.php:1287:
>>      logout_error(_("The current page request appears to have
>> originated from an untrusted source."));
>>
>> /usr/local/www/squirrelmail/po/squirrelmail.pot:1479:"The current
>> page
>> request appears to have originated from an untrusted source."
>>
>> /usr/local/www/squirrelmail/functions/strings.php:1473:
>> logout_error(_("The current page request appears to have originated
>> from an untrusted source."));
>
> Along with checking what the server's PHP session lifetime is, you can
> consider updating to more recent snapshot of SquirrelMail, which has
> been changed to allow per-session anti-CSRF security tokens.  Also,
> the
> Quicksave plugin will help in such situations, since it saves the text
> of unsent messages (and a new version is upcoming with greater storage
> capacity).

Thank you Paul.

The problem did not originate in SM at all.  A user on the FreeBSD
mailing list twigged me to the real cause in the default configuration
for the Apache-2.4 httpd as shipped with FreeBSD.  There were no
session modules loaded, which of course prevented authentication from
working if one took more than ~30 seconds on average to answer.

I thought that I had posted this resolution to the SM list but I must
have overlooked that.

Thank you for your help.

Regards,

James B. Byrne                mailto:ByrneJB@xxxxxxxxxxxxx