Re: File attachment upload fails (1.4.23 SVN)

Okay, I found something strange.  I suspected that it was a permission
problem and remembered assigning a very generous 777 permission onto
/var/spool/squirrelmail/attach/  and still had it fail.  That path was
what was expected by squirrelmail.

So when I humored you and followed the steps on:

https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/squirrelmail-could-not-move-copy-file-file-not-attached-when-trying-to-attach-a-fi.55043/

1) create directory in /usr/share/squirrelmail/ for example attach -
/usr/share/squirrelmail/attach
2) chmod 733 -R /usr/share/squirrelmail/attach
2) squirrelmail-configure
3) choose 4(General Options) and press Enter
4) choose 2(Attachment Directory) and past /usr/share/squirrelmail/attach

I got it to work, which was quite maddening because the steps were
equivalent, and these are more restrictive permissions, than what I had
done.

I verified the permission of the old attach folder in
/var/spool/squirrelmail/attach and saw that it was owned by root:www-data
and was assigned to permissions 730.  That tells me two things.  First of
all, the permissions I remembered applying didn't stick and apparently
whatever is editing the folder contents is not root nor in the www-data
group neither.  It also tells me that my generous 777 permissions aren't
there.

(I pattern searched for drwxrwxrwx from ls -Ral / and could not find that
I ever assigned permission 777 on any directory.  The chmod command wasn't
in .bash_history of my root or user account, so l can only guess I typed
it,  missed the enter key, and closed the term window)

Thanks for the affirmation that I was on the right track.

Timothy D Legg