spurious can't connect error

First post to the list.

SquirrelMail 1.4.22 running on OSX Server 10.10.5.

I started seeing a new error this week.  If I compose a new message and
hit Send, the message is sent ok but I get the error message:

     Safari Can't Connect to the Server
     Safari can't open the page
"webmail.phy.ilstu.edu:34580/webmail/src/compose.php?mail_sent=yes"
     because Safari can't connect to the server "webmail.phy.ilstu.edu".

This just started this week.  It is doubtless connected to a minor OSX
Server update last weekend (OSX was unchanged, but Apple's Server.app
updated to version 5.0.3).  Compose.php looks ok, and hasn't changed
since I installed it long ago.

Is this a PHP config problem?  Any idea what Apple might have tweaked to
mess up a previously-working system?  Again, the mail does get sent, and
a copy does appear in my Sent folder, so I don't think any important
things are broken.  I just don't like alarming the users with spurious
messages.

RB