Re: Spam on my squirrelmail server

On Tue, 8 Apr 2014, difuntos wrote:
> Thanks a lot to everyone. I?ve found that an account was hacked and they were
> sending spam from that account.
>
> The thing is that they were using another mail address to send (they changed
> it in the "Personal Information" option).
>
> So, i was wondering...is there any way to take out that options from the
> squirrelmail? ( only "Full Name", "E Mail Address" and "Reply To")
>
> Thanks again!!

Difuntos,

This line of reasoning is a dead end.  If spammers can't send email using
a spoofed email address they will simply send the spam as the account they
have hacked instead.

Users have the uncanny ability to use weak passwords, have their machines
get hacked/compromised and to respond to phishing attacks with their
username and password.

The best method I've found is to place restrictions on how many emails
they can send and to monitor, monitor, monitor their activity.

I would recommend installing the restrict_senders plugin and the squirrel
logger plugin.

Use one to restrict how many emails your users can send and the other to
monitor who's sending those emails.

Ted Hatfield