variable sent folder not showing up

Hi.  I'm using squirrelmail 2:1.4.22-1|| under Ubuntu 12.04, which seems
to be working fine.  As far as I can tell, that's the latest stable
release, though I see lots of references to later releases.

I installed several plugins that seem to be working fine, but one that
is very important to me is variable_sent_folder
(http://squirrelmail.org/plugin_view.php?id=100)
I added the latest one, and it shows up in the installed plugins list in
conf.pl, but it doesn't appear on the squirrelmail compose screen.

Then I saw that the latest release is for SquirrelMail 1.4.6+.  I
replaced it with version 0.4 from 2003 (unfortunately I forgot to
uninstall first so I had to edit the config and plugins file), then
installed it through conf.pl, but it's still not showing up.  I don't
see anything in my apache logs.

The newer version is owned by a completely different person than the old
version, and with the old version being over 10 years old, I'm hesitant
to contact the author.  I'm hoping someone can give me a clue of what to
try.

Alternately, is there an ubuntu package way of installing a newer (but
not necessarily bleeding edge) version of Squirrelmail?

Thanks in advance.