2 simultaneous languages

I'm running squirrelmail 1.4.22 on a Centos 6.3 system. My language is set
to English which works well for my day to day mail but I do get the
occasional Japanese email message which squirrelmail does not display
correctly. It looks like the character set is not being properly
recognized. Similarly any message that I compose in Japanese is also
mangled.

If I set the squirrelmail language to Japanese under Options->Languages
everything works fine so I don't think that the issue is with the
underlying system. Also other mail clients work OK with the same mailbox
so the text in the mailbox is OK. The issue is with Squirrelmail
interpreting the text incorrectly. I have tried multiple browsers with the
same result.

My question. Can Squirrelmail work in 2 languages simultaneously or do I
need to switch the interface language every time I want to read or compose
in Japanese?

I'm hoping that it is something simple that I have missed.

Thanks,

Dave

daved@xxxxxxxxxxxx