Re: lockout plugin preference error

Hi,

>> I just found this error message in the squirrelmail_access_log from
>> squirrel_logger:
>>
>> Apr 5 13:00:45 [INVALID] user68019 (prop.example.com) from
>> 69.11.53.205: Preference file,
>> /var/lib/squirrelmail/data/lockout_plugin_login_failure_information.pref,
>> could not be copied from temporary file,
>> /var/lib/squirrelmail/data/lockout_plugin_login_failure_information.pref.tmp.
>> Contact your system administrator to resolve this issue.
>>
>> The file is owned and only readable by the apache user, but it already
>> contains a number of lockout messages. The data directory is also
>> owned by apache, so it should have no problem creating temporary files
>> in that directory.
>>
>> There's only one occurrence of this message after having been run for
>> about a week, but just wanted to be sure there wasn't something I'm
>> doing wrong.
>
> I don't recall the plugin itself creating .tmp files, but it might be
> asking SM core to do that.  If the error only happened once, then I
> wouldn't sweat it.  If it happens more than that, please let us know
> so we can take a look at it.

It looks like it happened once more on the 25th with a different user.
Immediately preceding the error was an "Unknown user or password
incorrect." message in the logs, and again immediately after it,
except from a completely different IP address. The IP with the error
was from the fixed IP within the customer's domain, perhaps accessed
by an admin. The one afterwards was from a dynamic IP at rr.com,
perhaps from the actual end-user.

I'm still not sure it's something we need to stress over, with it only
occurring twice, but perhaps it was a race issue with two users trying
to login or make changes at the same time and the tmp file?

Thanks,
Alex