Patch for php 5.4.

I have squirrelmail-1.4.2, freebsd 8.x and php 5.4.

I had read that exist a patch to fix the issue with php5.4 because squirrelmail complaint about php5.4, I had seen the patches, download them, but could some point how to apply them?

I did this:

cd /usr/local/www/squirrelmail/plugins/administrator
download my patches

patch -p1 < patch-1

It start asking what file to patch.

I did something wrong?