Re: Problems when sending mails from webmail..

On Fri, 8 Feb 2013, difuntos wrote:
> > Hello! Im having trouble when i send mails from the webmail site (with
> > the browser).
> >
> > I have configured sendmail with masquerade, so when i send an email it
> > shows another domain on the mail address. When i try sending an email
> > from linux (using mailx) there is no problem (the masquerade works
> > fine, the email is sent and received ok).
> >
> > But when i send an email from the webmail, the log shows this :
> >
> > (...) from=<xxx@130.0.200.21>, size=748, class=0, nrcpts=1,
> > msgid=b49184e9aefe4b65266f1690cb20f338.squirrel@130.0.200.21>,
> > proto=ESMTP, daemon=MTA, relay=localhost [127.0.0.1]
> > Feb  6 16:00:54 webmail sendmail[4401]: r16J0fLw004399:
> > to=<address@domain>, delay=00:00:13,
> > Feb  6 16:00:54 webmail sendmail[4401]: r16J0fLw004399:
> > r16J0sLw004401: DSN: Data format error
> >

> > In the config file, i have "localhost" as the smtp server.
> >
> > And in the sendmail config, i?m relaying on another server (the smtp
> > company?s server) to send the mails.
> >
> > Hope you can help me, and hope you can understand my horrible
> > english!!!!!
> >
> > Thanks a lot!!!
> > regards
> >
> > Alejandro Quegles
>
> On Wed, 13 Feb 2013, difuntos wrote:
>
> Hi Ted, thanks for the response, and sorry for the delay in answering you, we
> had holidays here in Argentina.
>
> In my squirrelmail configuration i have "localhost" as my smtp server. And
> in the sendmail configuration, im relaying on the smtp server of my company
> (it?s called mail5) for sending emails from my squirrelmail server.
>
> I tried putting the mail5 server as the smtp server in the squirrelmail
> config, but when i send an email from the webmail, it doesn?t send...and it
> redirects me to the "groups" plugin of squirrelmail...
>
> I hope you can understand me...my english it?s not great...
>
> thanks again
> regards
>
> Ale

Alejandro,

This appears to be a sendmail problem and not a squirrelmail issue at all.

If I understand your emails correctly, you have setup sendmail with
masquerading.  You are using localhost as your outgoing smtp server in
squirrelmail.  However you need to understand that sendmail is set up as
two seperate daemons.  One is the primary sendmail daemon and is
responsible for handling incoming email and the other is the
submission daemon which is only responsible for "local" outgoing email.

Since you're envelope-from address is showing up as xxx@130.0.200.21, then
it would appear that the submission daemon is not set with a proper
hostname, as well as the fact that it's probably not setup to do
masquerading either.  Look in your /etc/mail folder for the submission.mc
file. which is different from the sendmail.mc file.

This is my best guess without actually looking at your sendmail config
files on the machine.

Ted Hatfield