Managing accounts, password changes, and securing access

Hi,

I have a system with a few hundred users, soon to be upgraded to the
latest v1.4 squirrelmail. Many of these users have the same password
as their username, so we'd like to find the best method for changing
the user's passwords with the least amount of impact.

Is there any mechanism within squirrelmail that would relate to this
process? In other words, we'd like to notify users that their password
has expired, or that they need to enter their old password then choose
a new password before they can login. Is this how the change_password
plugins work?

This would be easier than locking their account and forcing them to
call the helpdesk when they can't figure out why their account isn't
accessible.

Is there a stable v1.5? It seems the best support for this type of
functionality is in v1.5, but it seems to still be experimental?

I had asked about a similar situation back in February, but all users
are stored in /etc/passwd. Is it an easy process to migrate to mysql?
Is that necessary?

Thanks for any ideas,
Alex