Re: Problem in using DNS names for imap/smtp server name

Goutam Baul-3 wrote:

>>michael crane-2 wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, June 25, 2012 1:05 pm, Goutam Baul wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> We are using Squrrelmail 1.4.22 on RHEL 6.1 (64 bit). For specifying the
>>> imap server name we used the DNS name. But we got error saying "110
>>> connection time out".
>> browser cache ?
>>
>>It is PHP socket timeout error and not something that might come from
>>browser or proxy.
> Tried to find out any means to increase the timeout interval but could not
> find anything that I can understand. Would any one kindly point me to some
> resource that will enable me to get rid of this timeout error?
> With regards,
>
> Goutam

Connection timeouts are very generic errors. Socket timeout can be caused by
connection to invalid address or by some generic connectivity issue. For
example, if firewall drops connections (common firewall behavior), you get
connection timeout. Routing configuration is borked on target - timeout.
Remote site experiences load issues and is slow to respond - timeout.

You can't resolve timeout errors by changing default hardcoded PHP socket
timeout values. If you don't resolve the cause of timeout, you will
experience subpar interface performance or you will get same error even with
very large timeout values.

Please answer questions about IPv4/IPv6.

--
Tomas