Problem in using DNS names for imap/smtp server name

Hi All,

We are using Squrrelmail 1.4.22 on RHEL 6.1 (64 bit). For specifying the imap server name we used the DNS name. But we got error saying “110 connection time out”.

We tried doing telnet to port 143 using the same host name from the command prompt and found that the telnet access is happening as expected.

We replaced the host name with the IP address and things worked perfectly.

Finally we gave an entry of the host name in the /etc/hosts file for the imap server and used that host name in the config.php. This time the connection worked perfectly.

The same thing happens with the smtp server definition.

Any clue on what we are doing wrong here? Incidentally the IMAP server is also the LDAP server and LDAP authentication worked with the DNS resolution.

We are a bit perplexed. Kindly guide.

With regards,

Goutam Baul