Re: Single Sign On to Squirrel mail from another web application

On Fri, May 11, 2012 at 10:54 PM, KK CHN <kkchn.in@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> List,
>
> I have a plone 4.1.4( CMS)  installation, and a squirrel mail web client
> running on
>  different machines but under the same domain.  say  intranet.mydomain.com
>  and  webmail.mydomain.com
>
> I am trying to implement a SSO for  this plone intranet site and Squirrel
> Mail client. ( The plone site is integrated with LDAP server.  Both Plone
> site and  Squirrel mail refers the same user credentials in this LDAP
> server)
>

>  What configurations/additional work  I have to make for the SM instance
>  for SSO to work   from plone site, so clicking a  link in the  plone  site
>  to the squirrel mail site should logged in to the squirrel mail client so
> users can  see their  emails, without signing again to the squirrel mail
> login page.
>
>  Please give your guidance/workarounds  how to accomplish this SSO  for
>  Squirrel Mail.

You could try to hack something into one or the other of these two
applications (or both) so that they understand each other's cookies,
for example (still may present problems authenticating against the
IMAP server - keep in mind that SquirrelMail passes authentication to
the IMAP server, so it MUST have a username and password to
authenticate with, and in that sense, it's far smarter to ask how to
modify plone to understand when a user has been authenticated via
SquirrelMail), but the more robust way to handle this is to find a SSO
authentication implementation that both applications are compatible
with.  Shibboleth is one popular example, but there are others.  Do
your homework.  There is a SquirrelMail plugin that is compatible with
some such authentication systems that will be available soon - but it
is not trivial to set this kind of system up because you must be able
to integrate it with your IMAP server too.

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team