Re: User change password problem

satimis wrote:

> Hi Tomas,
>
> Previously I made a mistake.  I got it done now.  I should save the
> tarball on /usr/share/squirrelmail/plugins/
>
> untar it there.  Then followed the document "INSTALL". to install/config
> it.  It is working now.  But still I can't change password, new password
> not working.  No complaint on changing password.
>
> poppassd has been installed.  Also ran "/etc/init.d/openbsd-inetd restart"
>
> # nmap localhost
> Starting Nmap 5.00 ( http://nmap.org ) at 2012-03-14 01:22 HKT
> Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
> Not shown: 992 closed ports
> PORT      STATE SERVICE
> 22/tcp    open  ssh
> 25/tcp    open  smtp
> 80/tcp    open  http
> 106/tcp   open  pop3pw
> 110/tcp   open  pop3
> 111/tcp   open  rpcbind
> 143/tcp   open  imap
> 10025/tcp open  unknown

You don't need nmap to do 'netstat -an' on localhost and check for tcp/udp
ports in LISTEN state. Netstat will tell you more important details than
nmap. Using nmap for checking local services is same thing as opening can of
food with a hammer.

Test your poppassd service.

telnet localhost 106
> some response from your service
user YourUsername
> other response
pass YourPassword
> other response
newpass ANewPassword
> some password is changed

your "Debian 6.0 server running as VM, Postfix  2.7.1-1+squeeze1,
SquirrelMail 1.4.21, change_pass-3.1-1.4.0, Oracle VirtualBox" description
does not tell anything about your user backend. Postfix is versatile email
server and it can use anything starting from basic system users to Cyrus,
SQL or LDAP. Poppassd server that you are using is specific to your email
system setup. If you choose wrong poppassd server, change_pass plugin won't
work. Where do you store your user information? Login names, mailbox
locations and passwords.