Suggestions for new accounts

Hi,

I have a system where I'm using an older version of squirrelmail on
fedora with postfix where we need to create a series of a few hundred
new accounts that don't currently exist.

Is there a plugin or other way that the visitor can be prompted to
change their password upon first login?

We'd like to not have to manually set the initial passwords for each
of these hundreds of new accounts. Is there a better way?

I hadn't planned on upgrading the system until the spring, but can do
it sooner if the latest version of squirrelmail would help.

Thanks,
Alex