failed to open config.php - cannot log in to Squirrelmail

I ran conf.pl so as to activate an administrator user. Now I cannot log into
Squirrelmail anymore.  Neither can I access
http://my-squirrelmail-location/src/configtest.php. I am "told" that I have
no permission to do so. I am sure I messed up something, but - what? Any
idea.
The message I get when trying to log into Squirrelmail (from syslog) is:
Jan  2 22:03:53 xxxx apache2: PHP Fatal error:  require_once() [
function.require function.require ]: Failed opening required
'../config/config.php' (include_path='.:/usr/share/php:/usr/share/pear') in
/usr/share/squirrelmail/functions/global.php on line 114

Further to the above...
line 114: require_once(SM_PATH . 'config/config.php');
file config.php in my case is located (Debian Squeeze) in /etc/squirrelmail
(directly). There is no subdirectory "config". This is pointed to from
/usr/share/squirrelmail by way of a symbolic link.
Could anybody help? This is URGENT!
Regards H. Stoellinger