Re: Address Book "Compose To" button does not translate html special characters when Javascript is enabled

On Wed, 21 Dec 2011 05:57:54 -0800
Paul Lesniewski <paul@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Thanks for the thorough report....
>
> > Version: 1.5.2-SVN (10282011 tarball)
> >
> > Plugins:
> >    1. filters
> >    2. message_details
> >    3. New Mail (newmail) CORE
> >
> > PHP: 5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jun 20 2011
> > 11:57:43)
> >
> > Web server: nginx/1.0.4
> >
> > IMAP server: Panda IMAP 2010.415
> >
> > SMTP server: Exim version 4.76
> >
> > Server OS: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE (i386)
> >
> > Client OS: Ubuntu/Lucid (amd64)
> >
> > Web Browser: Firefox 4.0.1
> >
> > Problem (bug/feature?):
> >
> > Recently upgraded from 1.5.1-SVN (circa February 2011) to 1.5.2-SVN
> > (10282011 tarball).  (By the way, happy to see that the "Copy" button
> > is finally working without a hack.)
>
> If you were using a development SVN snapshot from Feb 2011, it was
> version 1.5.2.
>
> > Had never used the Address Book before.  Using it now with about forty
> > entries.
> >
> > "Options/Compose Preferences/Format of Addresses Added From Address
> > Book" is set to "Full name and address"
> >
> > and
> >
> > "Options/Display Preferences/Use Javascript" is set to "Autodetect."
> >
> > When one or more recipients is or are ticked while in the "Compose"
> > window embedded Address Book and "Use Addresses" is clicked, the "To,"
> > "CC," or "BCC" fields are populated correctly as follows:
> >
> >    "Recipient's Name" <Recipient@xxxxxxxxxxx>
> >
> > On the other hand, when one or more recipients is or are ticked while
> > in the Address Book frame and "Compose To" is clicked, the "To," "CC,"
> > or "BCC" fields are populated incorrectly as follows:
> >
> >    &quot;Recipient's Name&quot; &lt;Recipient@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
> >
> > In other words, the double quote `"' and the angle brackets `<>'
> > special html characters are not being translated.
>
> There was an encoding related fix made in September, although that's
> before the version you seem to be using.  Please make sure
> templates/default/input.tpl is up to date.  Please try temporarily
> disabling all plugins (you can use the configuration tool to do this
> at once without removing your list of enabled plugins for quick
> re-enabling later).  Also make sure you are not using a modified skin
> (template set).
>
> > This also occurs when "Options/Compose Preferences/Format of Addresses
> > Added From Address Book" is set to "Nickname and address" but does not
> > occur when it is set to "No prefix/Address only" (probably because the
> > address does not require the addition of angle brackets `<>').
>
> I cannot reproduce.  I presume Options-->Compose Preferences-->Address
> Book Display Format is set to "In-page".  There was another bug that I
> found and fixed in SVN just now, so you may want to wait a day and
> download a new 1.5.2 snapshot.  Please ensure your setup is 100%
> vanilla and try again.
>
> > Setting "Options/Display Preferences/Use Javascript" to "Never"
> > completely stops this behavior.

> [...]

Thanks Paul for taking the time to look into this.  Although I posted
my original query almost two months ago (and didn't think that it would
ever be answered), I am happy that it has been now replied to.

Next week should be a light week.  I'll do a clean install of the latest
1.5.2 tarball and see if the behavior persists.

Should I perhaps have posted this thread in the Developer's list (or
should I move it there)?

Thank you again.

--
Casco