Re: Address Book "Compose To" button does not translate html special characters when Javascript is enabled

Thanks for the thorough report....

> Version: 1.5.2-SVN (10282011 tarball)
>
> Plugins:
>    1. filters
>    2. message_details
>    3. New Mail (newmail) CORE
>
> PHP: 5.3.6 with Suhosin-Patch (cli) (built: Jun 20 2011
> 11:57:43)
>
> Web server: nginx/1.0.4
>
> IMAP server: Panda IMAP 2010.415
>
> SMTP server: Exim version 4.76
>
> Server OS: FreeBSD 8.2-RELEASE (i386)
>
> Client OS: Ubuntu/Lucid (amd64)
>
> Web Browser: Firefox 4.0.1
>
> Problem (bug/feature?):
>
> Recently upgraded from 1.5.1-SVN (circa February 2011) to 1.5.2-SVN
> (10282011 tarball).  (By the way, happy to see that the "Copy" button
> is finally working without a hack.)

If you were using a development SVN snapshot from Feb 2011, it was
version 1.5.2.

> Had never used the Address Book before.  Using it now with about forty
> entries.
>
> "Options/Compose Preferences/Format of Addresses Added From Address
> Book" is set to "Full name and address"
>
> and
>
> "Options/Display Preferences/Use Javascript" is set to "Autodetect."
>
> When one or more recipients is or are ticked while in the "Compose"
> window embedded Address Book and "Use Addresses" is clicked, the "To,"
> "CC," or "BCC" fields are populated correctly as follows:
>
>    "Recipient's Name" <Recipient@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> On the other hand, when one or more recipients is or are ticked while
> in the Address Book frame and "Compose To" is clicked, the "To," "CC,"
> or "BCC" fields are populated incorrectly as follows:
>
>    &quot;Recipient's Name&quot; &lt;Recipient@xxxxxxxxxxx&gt;
>
> In other words, the double quote `"' and the angle brackets `<>'
> special html characters are not being translated.

There was an encoding related fix made in September, although that's
before the version you seem to be using.  Please make sure
templates/default/input.tpl is up to date.  Please try temporarily
disabling all plugins (you can use the configuration tool to do this
at once without removing your list of enabled plugins for quick
re-enabling later).  Also make sure you are not using a modified skin
(template set).

> This also occurs when "Options/Compose Preferences/Format of Addresses
> Added From Address Book" is set to "Nickname and address" but does not
> occur when it is set to "No prefix/Address only" (probably because the
> address does not require the addition of angle brackets `<>').

I cannot reproduce.  I presume Options-->Compose Preferences-->Address
Book Display Format is set to "In-page".  There was another bug that I
found and fixed in SVN just now, so you may want to wait a day and
download a new 1.5.2 snapshot.  Please ensure your setup is 100%
vanilla and try again.

> Setting "Options/Display Preferences/Use Javascript" to "Never"
> completely stops this behavior.

This is odd, since none of this should have anything to do with
JavaScript.  Perhaps the Suhosin patch is causing this.  Can you test
on a system without it?

> There are some cryptic settings and comments on html translations in the
> "functions/htmlentities" file.  In particular:
>
> (Starts at line 44)
> "* --- Full list of entities (w3.org html4.01 recommendations)
>  * 1. regural (sic) symbols
>  * U+0022 - &quot;
>  *          (replaced only when $style is not ENT_NOQUOTES or 0)
>  * U+0026 - &amp;
>  * U+0027 - &#39;
>  *          (replaced only when $style is ENT_QUOTES or 3)
>  * U+003C - &lt;
>  * U+003E - &gt;"
>
> Not sure, though, of their significane

Those shouldn't have anything to do with this

--
Paul Lesniewski
SquirrelMail Team